I regularly listen to a great podcast put out my Brooke & Ben McAlary, an Australian couple who hail from the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney, but who are currently travelling through Canada with their two children…. anyway…. if you want to know more about them, you can go to https://slowyourhome.com/the-slow-home-podcast/ and check out their thing… I love ’em.
So each month, they put out a challenge. Last month was get out in Nature for an hour a day. I failed.
This month, is be creative (in whatever way suits you) for 15-30 minutes a day. I was just about to dismiss that one as “too hard, I don’t have time”, but listening on, I thought maybe I can do this, and maybe it’ll get me out of some bad habits, caused by stress and tiredness, which have instituted themselves in my life of late. B&B told me (yes, they speak personally to me, all podcasters do) that creativity could be writing (doing it) cooking (just done it), gardening (was there 30min. ago), sewing, craft, whatever (see here for the actual words & not my disgraceful paraphrasing https://slowyourhome.com/236/) so…….whatever takes your fancy.
So this morning, I awoke with a cracker of a headache/migraine that effectively put my left eye out of action as far as focus goes (& that, Ladies & Gents, is my body’s way of saying, “I tried to warn you, and you didn’t listen, so here’s a kick in the head of you! Are you listening now?”. So, I listened, and took the day off work (well not in the office, but not quite off work) I went back to bed, pills on-board, and slept it off.
When I tried for land of the living Part II and felt a little more human, I remembered the challenge than thought, what the heck… I can stay online and keep getting pissed with people, or I can calm my farm and take up a challenge.
This is a long way of telling you I made Cream of Chicken & Mushroom soup, from scratch! Just how much from scratch even impressed me when I broke it all down.
I served this with home made bread (that I made too!). You know, I’m not a fatty because I eat junk food. I’m a fatty because I love my own cooking too much! LOL!!!
Read on for the recipe & how to.
Linda’s Cream of Chicken & Mushroom Soup
This is the finished product… a rich, hearty pot of soul food!
- 8 mushrooms (I grew them!) (tick creative)
- 1.5lt of chicken & vegetable stock (I made this last week and put aside for later) (tick creative
- 1 Cup of Natural Yoghurt (I made this too) yep….I’m in creative credit now
- 1 Chopped onion
- 2 chicken thigh fillets (browned first with the chopped onion)
- + 1/4 cup Asian style fried onions (or an extra onion at the start – was just emptying my pantry)
- 1/2 cup grain or legume of choice. I used Amaranth today, but you could use lentils, rice….whatever suits….it just helps to thicken things later on.
- pinch of salt & a smidge of pepper
- Sauté the fresh chopped onion and chicken thigh fillets
- Add roughly chopped mushrooms, salt & pepper. Lower heat to med, and continue to cook for about 5 min., stirring occasionally.
- Add dried fried onion, stir
- add grain or legume of choice
- cover with stock, bring to the boil & reduce to a high simmer for 5 minutes
- drop to a low simmer for 20-30 min.
- Remove from heat and with a stick blender (or whatever you use to blend), blend the contents of the pot. I used a stick blender because I’m lazy and I don’t want to dirty another vessel that I will then have to wash.
- Add sour cream & yoghurt, blend again
- return to heat, bring back to a simmer.
- Serve with bread of choice & nourish your soul while you’re at it